I'm sure we all have those days when we get home after a long day out and realise there is nothing in the fridge for dinner ..... so it's going to be a dinner with whatever I can find in the pantry/freezer kind of night!
This Salmon and Vegetable Pasta Bake is my go to dinner when I'm in that situation as I always have these staple ingredients in my pantry and freezer.
Salmon and Vegetable Pasta Bake
300g dried pasta, penne or bowties
Brown onion, finely chopped
Celery, finely chopped
1 and 1/2 cups frozen pea, corn, carrot mix (or other frozen vegetables)
2 tbs plain flour
3 cups milk, warmed
2 tbs butter
415g can red salmon
Juice from half a lemon
2 cups tasty cheese, grated
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180 fan forced and you will need a large oven proof baking dish.
2. Cook the pasta in a pot of salted boiling water, drain and set aside.
3. Melt butter in a large pot and add onion and celery, cook stirring for a few minutes until softened.
4. Add flour and cook stirring until bubbling. Gradually add the warm milk, stirring with a whisk to remove any lumps. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes until thickened.
5. Add to the white sauce the tin salmon and break up any lumps. Stir in the cooked pasta, frozen veggie mix, half the cheese, lemon juice, parsley, lots of cracked pepper and mix well.
6. Spoon into baking dish and top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
7. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until cheese melts and top is golden.
Serve a hearty bowl of this pasta bake with some soft crusty bread .... enjoy!
This dinner will be on the table in less than an hour, tastes great and makes enough for leftover lunches for the next day!
Sharing with link parties:
Curly Crafty Mom
Savvy Southern Style
[Image my own]
Pin It Now!