Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Recipe: Slow Cooked Beef In Soy + Orange Sauce

I had my family over for dinner on Sunday night for my Birthday and so I wasn't stuck in the kitchen on my special day I put the slow cooker on to make dinner for us!

I made this Slow Cooked Beef in Soy + Orange Sauce recipe but added more veggies, meat and a few other changes per the recipe below.

It's an Asian take on the traditional Italian Osso Buco and everyone loved it, it had a really rich and sweet flavour, the meat was tender and falling apart and there were lots of hidden veggies so it was healthy too. 



Slow Cooked Beef in Soy + Orange Sauce
Serves 6 

Ingredients

6 beef osso buco
2 tbs plain flour
2 onions, cut in wedges
3 carrots, sliced diagonally
4 sticks celery, sliced diagonally
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
3cm piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
5 strips orange rind
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tbs oyster sauce
1/4 cup Chinese cooking wine  (I used Sherry)
1 cup beef stock
1/2 cup cold water
2 star anise
2 tbs brown sugar
Green beans
Coriander leaves
Steamed rice 

Method

1. Place meat in a sandwich bag with flour and shake until meat coated. Heat oil in a pan, brown meat and remove from pan.
2. Heat oil in pan and fry onion, garlic, ginger, carrot and celery for 5 minutes. 
3. Add to the slow cooker the meat, veggies, orange peel, sauces, wine, stock, star anise, sugar and half a cup of cold water. Stir well and add cracked pepper.
4. Put lid on slow cooker and cook on low for 7 hours, turning meat half way through.
5. Discard bones and star anise and break up meat with a fork.
6. Add beans and let cook on low with the lid off for about 20 minutes or until beans cooked through and sauce thickens.
7. Serve with steamed rice and top with coriander leaves.

Note: I have a Sear and Slow Cooker so can brown in my slow cooker, but if you don't you will need to use a pan and then transfer to your slow cooker.


What's your favourite way to cook osso buco?


 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter


[All images my own]


Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. I love dishes in the crock pot, even in the summer! I bet this smelled good while it was cooking all day, too!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes me too, I love curries and asian dishes all year round! It smelt amazing :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!