Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, May 2, 2016

Book Review And Preview: Lily And The Octopus By Steven Rowley

This is a book review and sneak preview of Lily and the Octopus by Steven Rowley that is due to be published by Simon and Schuster on 7 June 2016.

Steven Rowley lives in Los Angeles and has been pursuing a career as a screenwriter and more recently a paralegal. To cope with his grief when his beloved dachshund Lily died, he wrote this novel. This is a debut novel and there is talk of it being turned into a movie - not a bad start for this first time book writer!


Set in the bustling city of Los Angeles, Ted a middle aged man who is recently single and spends his days working from home and being with his rescue dog, a dachshund called Lily.

Lily gets sick from a tumor, symbolised as an octopus, and Ted's life is turned upside down as he deals with the sadness of Lily reaching the end of her days and the grief of losing his beloved companion.

The story takes you on a magical journey of Ted and Lily - sometimes I was unsure if Ted was imagining parts of the story or if it was actually happening. Reminiscing about the times spent together, the adventures they went on and the bond between man and dog, all the while trying to fight off the octopus.

This book is powerful and moving, I read it with a lump in my throat most of the way through, but it is so beautifully written that it was worth the emotional rollercoaster. This is the kind of book I couldn't stop thinking about when I wasn't reading it and when you find a book like that you know it's made a huge impact - so I've officially added it to my top 5 favourite books of all time!

I recommend this book to everyone but especially to dog lovers - you will have an instant connection with the story and the unbreakable bond between man and dog.


I give this book 5 stars out of  5

Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch paint dry than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd give up a bottle of the worlds best champagne for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read


Lily And The Octopus can be purchased from the author here and Simon and Schuster


Sharing my book review on Good Reads here and Netgalley


Disclosure:  NetGalley partner with bloggers such as me to help promote authors and their books and I was given this ebook published by Simon and Schuster to review. As always, all opinions are my own.


 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter

[Image via Dymocks

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Top 5 books of all times, it must be a really good read. It sounds like a tearjerker, tho!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a brilliant read Carrie I couldn't put it down and it is a tearjerker but in a good way. It's not often a book makes you feel so emotional but this one really hit the spot for me x

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!