Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, July 11, 2016

Book Review: Mercy Street By Tess Evans

This is a book review of Mercy Street by Tess Evans that was published by Harper Collins on 1 January 2016.

Tess Evans is an Australian author and this is her third novel. Tess's first novel was published the year she turned 60 which proves it's never too late to follow your dream! Tess is married with three grown children and lives in Melbourne, Australia.


Set in suburban Melbourne Australia, this is a beautiful story of George a 67 year old widower who has been living a lonely life since his wife of 50 years died three years ago.

Then along comes wild child and single Mum 19 year old Angie and her 5 year old daughter Rory and George's days are suddenly full with his instant family.

The story is realistic and honest and follows the lives of typical Australians. The characters are all portrayed brilliantly and provide plenty of drama, entertainment and warm and fuzzy moments.

There are many great messages and meanings within this story and I was really moved at the thought that a troubled child could make a cranky old man soften and feel love. The writing was funny and easy to read and the story didn't drag on either it was quite a short book which I finished in just a few days. I thought the ending was a bit harsh and rushed and that's the only reason why I didn't score it a perfect 5/5 stars.

I recommend this book to anyone young and old it will make you appreciate the simple things in life.


I give this book 4 stars out of  5

Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch paint dry than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd give up a bottle of the worlds best champagne for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read


Mercy Street can be purchased from the author here and Harper Collins


Sharing my book review on Good Reads here and Netgalley


Disclosure:  NetGalley partner with bloggers such as me to help promote authors and their books and I was given this ebook published by Harper Collins to review. As always, all opinions are my own.


 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter



[Image via Harper Collins

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the book review! It is great that you find so many Australian writers. It's amazing the joy that children bring! My dad was always so strict and serious when I grew up with him, but he's SO different with my kids/his grandkids!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was such a heartwarming story and while I dont have kids of my own, its true kids really do make you soft and pull at your heartstrings!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!