Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, December 12, 2016

Book Review: Christmas At Designer's Homes Across America By Katharine and Patricia McMillan

This is a book review of Christmas At Designer's Homes Across America by Katharine and Patricia McMillan that was published by Schiffer Books on 28 September 2016.

Katharine is a psychologist and writer interested in human factors in design and has co-authored 10 books on design. Patricia is an interior designer who has authored 15 books on interior design and architecture. Kat and Pat are partners at Strahan McKillan, Architecture and Interior Design in Texas.


This is a beautiful design book of homes decorated and styled for the Christmas holidays by designers with extreme decorating styles - they have gone all out to turn their homes into a festive space.

I love looking into peoples homes to see how real people live rather than a perfectly styled space just for a magazine or book spread. I just find it to be more real and being that in this case the owners are interior designers and decorators - their homes are absolutely exquisite!

There are stories of how each designer celebrated Christmas with their friends and family and it it's nice to have this personal touch to the book so it isn't just about decorating but the people who live there as well and how they celebrate the season.

The book has so many ideas to decorate your home for Christmas and whilst I usually change up my themes each year I have taken away some great ideas to try out. A great tip is to buy quality over quantity - that's one that I have come to realise and agree with wholeheartedly.

These homes are all located in America which has a winter Christmas and the themes suit a cold and cosy season which is quite different to my summer Australian Christmas where I decorate with brights and a summery theme!

A hardcopy of this book is a must to enjoy the stunning images and it is already taking pride of place on my coffee table at Christmas time. What a great gift idea it is too!

I recommend this design book to anyone who loves to decorate for Christmas in a classy and elegant way.

I give this book 5 stars out of  5

Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch paint dry than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd give up a bottle of the worlds best champagne for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read


Christmas At Designer's Homes Across America can be purchased from Schiffer Books


Sharing my book review on Good Reads here and Netgalley


Disclosure:  NetGalley partner with bloggers such as me to help promote authors and their books and I was given a hardcopy of this book published by Schiffer Books to review. As always, all opinions are my own.


 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter


[Image via Schiffer Books]


Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. I always find it so hard to believe that your summer is our winter and that you celebrate Christmas in such a warm climate! I always wonder what that would be like! I don't think I'd complain too much. ;) This book sounds like a great one to get ideas if you're wanting to change things up a bit. I love thumbing through books for ideas over Pinterest sometimes and I also like that they had a personal section for how each person celebrates the holiday.

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has a big influence on our decorating styles I think :) This book is gorgeous and makes me want to experience a white Christmas too! x

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!