Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Book Club Book Review: Divergent By Veronica Roth

The book club read for the month of September was Divergent by Veronica Roth
 
I nearly didn't get to read this book because it's so popular (probably because it's been made into a movie which was in cinemas when we were reading the book) and a month on and I'm still waiting for the book which I reserved from the library! Luckily my Book Club buddie lent me her copy so I could read it before the book club meet up - you don't want to go to book club without reading the book you feel like the naughty kid in class who didn't finish your homework!
 
 
Divergent is a story about an American community which is formed and separated into 5 factions. The factions are determined by your characteristics in an attempt to create a perfect society. When you turn 16 years old you get to choose the faction you want to belong in, but this also means leaving your family and friends behind.
 
The main character Beattrice (Tris) makes the decision to leave her family's faction and join another. Tris is inducted into her new faction, she makes friends and enemies, there's fights and dares to build up her strength and courage, and her journey of self discovery as she works out who she is and where she belongs.
 
I liked all the characters, even the bullies, I thought they were portrayed brilliantly. The romance between Tris and Four was pretty saucy and added a lot of interest too.
 
I really enjoyed this book, ok I kind of loved it and finished it in just 4 days! The story line was so interesting I couldn't turn the pages fast enough to find out what was going to happen - whether Tris would make it into her faction and more importantly whether Tris and Four would end up together!
 
This book is the first of three in the series and so the story ends in a way that leaves you hanging to find out what will happen next. That's the downside of a trilogy, you need to keep on reading all the books to get closure.
 
I recommend this book to sci-fi and fantasy readers and to young adults. It's a trilogy so be warned you may be drawn in to read the rest of them!
 
I give this book 5 out of 5 stars
 
Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch re-runs of Neighbours than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd pass up a pack of tim tams for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read
 
 
 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook and Instagram


[Image via Dymocks]

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite books I've read in the last couple of years. I read all 3 of them and really enjoyed them. You gave a good description of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved this book Im very tempted to read the other 2 now!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!