Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, May 4, 2015

Book Review: Abandoned NYC By Will Ellis

This is a book review of Abandoned NYC by Will Ellis that was published by Schiffer Publishing on 28 February 2015

Will Ellis is a Brooklyn based writer and photographer who has been documenting New York's abandoned spaces since 2012 which he shares on his blog and now in this book.
This is a beautiful and haunting photography book of the lost and lonely corners of America's New York City and surrounding areas.

It covers 16 buildings and areas that have been abandoned, with heaps of full page photographs, and a run down of the history of what they use to be used for and what the future plans for these buildings are, if any. There are schools, factories, institutions, and many more buildings all left to rot and decay, it made me sad to see them go to such waste.

This is a really interesting book visually - the images are not pretty, they are eerie and ugly, and draw you in to want to know why these spaces look like this now and what they use to be home to.

It's the kind of book you can keep on your coffee table to flip through every now and then and it's also a great conversation starter. The photography in this book could be framed and turned into art if you could bring yourself to tear out the pages from a book!

I recommend this book to anyone interested in NYC behind the scenes that you would never normally see and photography book fans.


I give this book 4 stars out of  5

Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch paint dry than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd pass up the last tim tam for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read


Abandoned NYC can be purchased direct from the author here or Schiffer Publishing


Sharing my book review on Good Reads here and Netgalley

You can visit the author's website here

Disclosure:  NetGalley partner with bloggers such as me to help promote authors and their books and I was given a hardcopy of this book published by Schiffer Publishing to review. As always, all opinions are my own.


 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook and Instagram


[Image via AbandonedNYC]

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. I find abandoned spaces really creepy but interesting and I always wonder why they've ended up that way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Trishie ..... creep but interesting this book is exactly that!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!