Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Recipe: Julie Goodwin's Not-Very-Authentic Fried Rice

I'm sharing my favourite fried rice recipe from Julie Goodwin Australia's first Masterchef, from the Our Family Table recipe book and as you can see from the marks on the pages I have cooked this recipe many times! It's my go to mid week dinner when I have leftovers from a Sunday roast, I add in beef, pork or chicken and it's a meal in itself with plenty leftover for lunches the next day.


Not-Very-Authentic Fried Rice
Julie Goodwin, Our Family Table
Serves 4

Ingredients
 
2 cups jasmine rice
4 rashers bacon, sliced thinly
1/4 cup peanut oil
1 brown onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbs grated ginger
2 eggs
salt and white pepper
1 cup frozen peas
1 tsp Chinese five spice
2/3 cup soy sauce
6-8 spring onions, thinly sliced diagonally
Leftover roast beef, chicken or pork, thinly sliced
 
Method
 
1. Cook rice. When cooked, transfer the rice to a large wide bowl and fluff the grains with a fork. (This step is a must as it airs out the rice and makes it all fluffy instead of gluggy!)
 
2. Meanwhile, heat a wok or large pan and cook the bacon for 2-3 minutes. Add 1 tbs oil, along with the onion, garlic, ginger and your leftover roast (if using). Fry gently until the onion is soft and fragrant, but not brown, then remove them from the wok.
 
3. Heat 1 tbs oil in the wok and add one lightly beaten egg. Swirl the egg around to create a thin omelette and season with salt and white pepper. When the egg has set, remove the omelette from the wok, roll it up and slice it very thinly. Repeat with more oil and the other egg. While you're waiting for the egg to set, cook the peas according to the directions on the packet.
 
4. Put the remaining oil in the wok over high heat. Add the rice and stir fry it in the oil, then stir through the Chinese five spice and soy sauce. When all the rice is well coated with soy and has a fairly dry consistency, add the egg, bacon, onion and roast mixture and peas, and then toss to combine before removing the wok from the heat. Just before serving, stir through two thirds of the shallots.
 
5. Serve the rice topped with the remaining shallots.


This dish is so quick and easy to make and can be varied in any number of ways depending on what is in the fridge or cupboard.

Do you have a recipe for using leftover roast meat?

Linking up with:
Savvy Southern Style
The Dedicated House


[All images my own]

Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. I usually make fried rice or noodles with leftover meat and it always works a treat. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont have noodles much at home but I should because I always seem to order them when I go out! I think the trick is finding the right type of noodle for the dish, thick or thin!

      Delete
  2. I often make myself veggie fried rice for lunch with whatever is laying in the vegetable draer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it can be a bit of a throw everything into it dish cant it :) Very versatile!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!