Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, January 12, 2015

Book Club Book Review: The Reluctant Fundamentalist By Mohsin Hamid

The November Book Club read which was also the last book for the year was The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid.

My book club always has December off from reading and we have a Christmas party instead! This was our fourth Christmas party and we went out for cocktails, a degustation dinner and dancing! If you've ever wanted to start your own book club then check out my post on How To Start A Book Club it could by one of your new year resolutions!


This story is narrated by a Pakistani man Changez who sits in a cafe in Pakistan talking to an American man. Changez tells the story of how he use to live and work in New York but after the 9/11 attacks everything changed and he no longer felt he fit in to the American life, he was judged on the street, in his workplace, and especially at the airport when he was travelling for work or back home to see his family in Pakistan.

The writing style of the author was brilliant and unique, it felt like I was in the cafe being told the story, it really reeled you in and you felt like you were a part of it as well. 

This was an interesting story to see the other side of how Muslims feel amongst the fears of terrorism and when it was written some years ago I can see how it would have been a welcome voice to have an insight into different cultures.

I wanted to like this story more but it left me feeling a bit flat and uncertain, especially the ending, but I won't go into that and spoil it for you.

I recommend this book to everyone of different cultures I think it will give you an understanding towards people from different countries and cultures.

I give this book 3 stars out of 5

Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch paint dry than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd give away my last tim tam for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read



 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook and Instagram


[Image via Dymocks]


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!