Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, November 23, 2015

Book Review: Pimp My Rice By Nisha Katona

This is a book review of Pimp My Rice: Dress it up, Spice it up, Serve it up  by Nisha Kotana that was published by Nourish Books on 15 October 2015.

Nisha is a British born Indian, rice and curry evangelist, a former barrister, restaurateur and has spent many years teaching Indian cookery to Brits of all ages in Liverpool.


The name says it all really Pimp My Rice is a cookbook about turning the humble grain of rice into a tasty dish for the dinner table.

There are rice dishes for all courses - entree, main to dessert. For any meal of the day - from breakfast to dinner. With all flavours - sweet and savoury to hot and spicy.

There are rice dishes I've never even thought of creating before like Banana Espresso for breakfast and desserts made from rice don't normally appeal to me but seeing the Salted Cinnamon Overnight Pud and I have suddenly changed my mind! There are heaps of main dishes I want to make and the Gutsy Prawn Gumbo and Jambalaya both remind me of New Orleans food I'd love to create at home as a reminder of our recent Honeymoon in the USA!

The recipes are easy to read and follow they are not too fancy or complicated which makes this book perfect for the home cook. I would have liked to see more pictures of each dish as the pictures that were in there were really appealing and made me want to make the dish there and then!

The voice of the author comes through as relaxed, friendly and fun and the summary at the top of each recipe about the dish is a really entertaining way to add a story about each recipe.

I recommend this book to rice lovers it's a really great addition for any home cook, to add to their cookbook collection.


I give this book 5 stars out of  5

Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch paint dry than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd give up a bottle of the worlds best champagne for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read


Pimp My Rice can be purchased from the author here and Nourish Books


Sharing my book review on Good Reads here and Netgalley

Disclosure:  NetGalley partner with bloggers such as me to help promote authors and their books and I was given a hardcopy of this book published by Nourish Books to review. As always, all opinions are my own.


 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter



[Image my own]

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!