Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Book Review: Southern Ruby By Belinda Alexandra

This is a book review of Southern Ruby by Belinda Alexandra that was recently published by Harper Collins Australia on 1 September 2016.

Belinda Alexandra is an Australian author who has written many historical and contemporary fiction novels set in exotic locations and likes to take her readers to another place in another time.


This is the story told by two strong female characters - Amanda who after her Nan dies and she has no family left in Australia decides to travel to New Orleans to meet the other part of her family she never knew she had. Grandmother Ruby shares her life story and history with Amanda helping her piece together who her parents were and where she came from.

The story flicks back and forth seamlessly between Granddaughter Amanda's present day discovery of New Orleans and Grandmother Ruby's past growing up in the 1950's in New Orleans at a time of sexism and racism. The story is constantly growing momentum it never slows down - from burlesque dancing to forbidden relationships between white and black lovers it covers it all.

I found it really interesting reading about the architecture, homes and buildings as well as before and during Hurricane Katrina which was an eye opener.

I wish I had read this book before my holiday to NOLA last year - it is true what they say of this author I was transported back to New Orleans, to the streets, the homes and the people through the words I read.

I recommend this book to modern fiction fans looking to discover the heart and soul of New Orleans.

I give this book 5 stars out of  5

Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch paint dry than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd give up a bottle of the worlds best champagne for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read


Southern Ruby can be purchased from the author here or Harper Collins Australia


Sharing my book review on Good Reads here and Netgalley


Disclosure:  NetGalley partner with bloggers such as me to help promote authors and their books and I was given this ebook published by Harper Collins Australia to review. As always, all opinions are my own.


 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter







Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. I saw this book at the shops last week and was close to purchasing it, will definitely have to go out and grab a copy now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!