I love cooking with Asian flavors but usually I make a quick stir fry so I thought I'd make a stir fry style dinner in my slow cooker, that way I can set it in the morning and forget about it until dinner time.
This Asian Beef turned out so good, really tasty sauce, melt in the mouth tender meat, and with veggies added in the last few minutes and tasty garnishes, served on rice it is a simple and healthy mid week meal.
Slow Cooker Asian Beef, Veggies + Rice
1 large brown onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
500g chuck steak, thickly sliced
1/2 cup soy sauce (I use the salt reduced one)
1 cup beef stock
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbs sesame oil
1 tbs rice wine vinegar
1 tbs ginger, finely grated
1/2 tsp Chinese five spice
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 cup frozen peas
Bok choy, stalks sliced (you can use any Asian green vegetable)
3 spring onions, sliced
1/2 cup cashews, lightly toasted
Fresh coriander leaves
Note: I have a sear a slow cooker which I fry/brown in first - you can use a frypan first and then transfer everything to the slow cooker (always brown the meat first to seal in the flavour and so it holds its shape and doesn't fall apart while slow cooking).
1. Heat oil and brown meat on both sides, remove and set aside.
2. Heat oil and fry onion and garlic for a few minutes.
3. Add beef back into slow cooker.
4. Add soy sauce, beef stock, brown sugar, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, ginger, Chinese five spice and white pepper. Give it a good stir.
5. Put lid on slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
6. When you're ready to eat add the bok choy and peas to slow cooker and cook on low for 10-15 minutes with the lid on. Once the veggies are cooked through it's ready to serve.
To serve add cooked rice to bowl, top with Asian beef and veggies being sure to ladle lots of the lovely sauce over the rice, garnish with spring onions, cashews, coriander and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Sharing with link parties:
[All images my own]
Pin It Now!