Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, August 11, 2014

Book Review And Preview: People I Want To Punch In The Throat By Jen Mann

This is a book review and preview of People I Want To Punch In The Throat: Competitive Crafters, Drop-Off Despots, and other Suburban Scourges by Jen Mann that is due to hit book stores on 9 September 2014.
 
Jen Mann writes for a number of publications and has a very popular blog of the same name People I Want To Punch In The Throat where she has won a heap of blog awards for her writing and humour. Jen lives in Kansas USA with her husband and two school aged kids.

 
As the title suggests, this book is a funny and sarcastic tale of Jen's sharp wit and opinion against motherhood, marriage, and everything in between.
 
There is no real beginning or ending in this book, it's a compilation of short stories very similar to Jen's blog. Some people have suggested the book is a compilation of blog posts from the blog, but this is not the case. The content in her book is not on her blog, it's all fresh and new.

Jen doesn't fit into the perfect mould of a Mum and Wife and these are her very funny and snarky stories of the challenges she faces each day. My favourite was her driving to school pick up in her pajamas when all the other Mums are in their designer clothes with perfect hair, of course that's the one day when she had to get out of the car because her son wasn't there waiting for her!

Jen doesn't have a filter she cuts the fluff and tells it like it really is and I think that's what makes her so appealing to readers. I was cringing and rooting for her all at the same time.

Being a blogger myself, I am always interested in reading books about bloggers. Whilst I hadn't heard of Jen's blog before and am new to her short and sharp writing style, I did find it very easy to read like it was a friend telling me stories and I finished reading this short book in just a few days.

I recommend this book to readers of the People I Want To Punch In The Throat blog and Mum's who need a good honest laugh.
 
I give this book 3 stars out of 5
 
Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch re-runs of Neighbours than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd pass up a pack of tim tams for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read

 
People I Want to Punch In The Throat can be purchased from Random House

Sharing my book review on Good Reads here

Disclosure: Random House and NetGalley partner with bloggers such as me to help promote their book and I was given this eBook published by Random House Ballantine Books to review. As always, all opinions are my own.
 
 
 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook and Instagram

[Image via Random House]


Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. LOL! This books sounds awesome!! And, there is maybe TWO days out of the entire school year when I usually need to get out of the car while waiting to pick him up. I am sure it'd be the time I'd be in my PJ's, too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really funny Carrie. Of course those are the days when you'll get caught out :)

      Delete
  2. How hilarious is the title of this book! I definitely want to read this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The title got me in too! Its as funny as it sounds :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!