Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My First Book Club Review: Room by Emma Donoghue

I love to read and with the commute on the bus to work each day, reading gives me something to do to pass the time. I get a bit bored just listening to my ipod and staring out the window especially with the rainy weather when you can't even see out the window (does that drive anyone else crazy?).

I want to read a bit more variety too so I decided to join a book club to entice me to read different books. The club consists of an all girls group aged between 20-40 years, we meet once a month and vote on a book we all want to read, then meet the following month to chat about it over coffee and cake.

This is the very first book that our book club chose to read for the month of May - Room by Emma Donoghue


Room is a story about 5 year old Jake and Ma who have been held captive in a room for 7 years.

I shudder to think that this is based on a true story (I don't think it is) but it is described in such a real way you can't help but follow their story day after day.

I found this book a bit hard to get into at first probably because it's narrated by a 5 year old so the words are gappy and it takes a bit of concentration to stay engaged. As I don't have kids I found it quite hard to read but I soon got use to the kid talk and it gave me a really good insight into a kids mind. I can now see why kids say and do the things they do, their minds are so different to adults. If the story was narrated by Ma it would have been a completely different story told and I think that's what makes this story so special.

It's a great little book written really well and takes you through the stages of their ordeal.

I would especially recommend it to anyone who doesn't know much about kids (even babysitters) as it gives a fantastic insight into a child's mind.


I give this book 4 stars out of  5

Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch paint dry than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd give up a bottle of the worlds best champagne for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read


 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter


[Image via Dymocks]

Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. I'm adding that to my library list.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!