Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, March 19, 2012

Book Club Book Review: The Birth of Venus By Sarah Dunant

My Book Club's February read was The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant

This book had a number of reservations against it at the Library and I only managed to get my hands on it a week before our meet up so I had to do a serious speed read to get it finished before our Book Club meet up, I was reading standing up, in the car, at my desk, any chance I got!


This book is a classic written back in the 15th Century when women should be seen and not heard . It's based on the main character Alessandra who grows from a young girl who aches for freedom to paint and be herself, into a controversial woman who has a passion for life and art.

Throw in a young brooding artist based in Alessandra's family home, an older man she is pretty much forced to marry, religion, history, war and sexual tensions throughout the city and you have got yourself a very interesting and engaging story.

I would recommend this book for those that have a love for Italy, the book takes you down those cobbled streets and sets the scene perfectly.

I give this book 4 stars out of 5

Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch re-runs of Neighbours than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd pass up a pack of tim tams for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read


 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png 

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter


[Image via Dymocks]

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!