Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Book Review: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

I've just finished this bonus read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close which was recommended by my Tuesday Girls Book Club


This story is a bit of a heart wrencher about a 9 year boy whose Dad died in 9/11 and the boy spends all his time trying to find out how exactly his Dad died and what he was doing in those final moments. This book had me want to laugh out loud in some parts and then trying not to cry (I read most of the time on the bus and its not a good look getting teary on public transport!)

The simplicity of how a child thinks makes this book something that I liked the most. To see things how kids do, uncomplicated and straightforward, (it actually reminded me of Room the very first Book Club read in that way). There are some strange stories told by other people in this book which I found a bit hard to swallow. There are also some quirky pictures and markings throughout the book which even had my librarian make a note "red marks part of book". Yes this is definitely an out of the ordinary book.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the events of 9/11
I give this book - 3 stars

Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1   Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2   Not Good - I'd rather watch re-runs of Neighbours than read this again
3   Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4   Good - I'd pass up a pack of tim tams for this read
5   Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read

[Image from Wiki] Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Similar also is his ability to infuse the exploration of the disquieting themes of war, loss, and absence with buoyancy and humor. Like the narrator of Everything is Illuminated, Oskar's voice is distinctively funny and his thoughts unique, making it often a great pleasure to be wandering around New York inside his head. By contrast, Foer elicits from the tales of Oskar's grandparents surprising truth and poignancy for a young novelist.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!