Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Book Review: Ham On Rye By Charles Bukowski

My April Book Club read was Ham On Rye By Charles Bukowski


What a sad little read this book was, written about the childhood of the author's ultra ego Henry Chinaski. The writing was simple and childlike which I quite enjoyed. But the story itself and the life this kid lived was lonely, sometimes sadistic and I felt sad and depressed reading it. As Henry grew up in the midst of the Depression and into adolescence I didn't know whether to feel sorry for him or dislike him. I think I did both. But I really couldn't blame him for being how he was, he made me understand why he did what he did and instead I just felt helpless for him.

This is definitely not a book I would ever have picked out myself so I'm so glad that I joined a Book Club to get me out of my comfort zone and reading different stories. The author Charles Bukowski has written a few books in his time and he was a poet and artist too. You can read more about him on this cheeky website. I'm quite interested in the column he wrote 'Notes of a dirty old man' it's on my next read list.

I would recommend this book to 'all the fathers' as that's who the autor dedicates this book to. This book would suit all ages, male and female. I give this book 3 stars I wouldn't read it again, but I did like the writing style.

Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch re-runs of Neighbours than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd pass up a pack of tim tams for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read

[Image via Booktopia]

Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of this book it does sound interesting though. Thank you for dropping by my blog and leaving a great comment.......

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!