Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, April 28, 2014

Book Review and Preview: Breathing Room by Dr Melva Green and Lauren Rosenfeld

This is a book review and preview of the book Breathing Room by Dr Melva Green and Lauren Rosenfeld that was published on 1 April 2014.

This book is written by Dr Green otherwise known for her role as an expert Doctor on TV show Hoarders and Lauren Rosenfeld who is a professional soul declutterer and self proclaimed hippie dreamer. Together this duo show you how to declutter your heart and declutter your home.
 

This is a home related book that I couldn't wait to curl up on the couch with and see if I could declutter my home. My first instinct was to look for pretty pictures and interior design inspiration but this was not that kind of book. It seemed I had to reach much deeper than that and look both on the spiritual and practical side.

This book talks about how we declutter our homes of paperwork and stuff in the same way we should declutter our minds and our hearts to let more joyful things in. It made me realise that its not just about clearing the stuff at home but also the stuff inside of me that are unwanted things.

The first part of the book is about the rooms in your home and going through them. Then the second part of the book is about clearing the energy and how you can do that - letting go and saying no to clutter. The concept is simple - if it's weighing you down, if it's become an obstacle, if you can't find the things you love, then it's time to let it go and find a little breathing room.

This book is spiritually thought provoking but it is also action oriented. The spiritual method is called SLICE an anagram for Stop and Listen. Intend. Clear the Energy.

This book was quite easy to follow but you had to be in the mood to concentrate it wasn't just a nice fairy land story you could get lost in. You had to read and think and self reflect all the way through. I found it to be quite hard work to read through in one sitting and actually had this book on the go for about 3 months before I finished it. This is not a read once kind of book and I know I'll use it as a reference book for many years to come.

I recommend this book to home lovers who want to see a different side of your home and yourself and who need a helping hand to clear your clutter at home and within yourself.

I give this book 4 stars

Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:

1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch re-runs of Neighbours than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd pass up a pack of tim tams for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read


Breathing Room can be purchased from Beyond Words here.
 
Sharing my book review on Good Reads here
 
Disclosure: NetGalley partner with bloggers such as me to help promote their product. As part of this promotion I was given this eBook published by Beyond Words to review. I have not received any payment or compensation for this review. I have not been told what to say about this product, I am free to form my own opinion and share them in my own words. All opinions are my own.


[Image via BeyondWords]
 
Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. I'm putting this on my to read list! I've been reading a lot of books about time management, organising, home and lifetsyle etc I think it's because of the huge changes to my family structure this year! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Vanisha you will love it, its so helpful and brings up a bit of soul searching too :)

      Delete
  2. Michelle, this sounds like exactly what I need now. I just read a book that has truly changed my life (Essentialism, by Greg McKeown) and this book sounds like a perfect follow-up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!