Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, July 7, 2014

Book Club Book Review: Defending Jacob by William Landay

The book choice for the month of June at Book Club was Defending Jacob by William Landay


This story is told by the Dad, Andy Barber who for 20 years has been the Assistant District Attorney in the county of Massachusetts. The tables are turned when it's his own family who are accused of a crime and taken through the court process with everyone in the town including their friends and colleagues, presuming they are guilty of their son's crime.
 
The accused is Andy's 14 year old son Jacob, who is put on trial for killing a fellow student. The story is a court room drama about the trial and how it affects the Barber family.
 
The story teller Andy and his perception of the world compared to his belief in his family just didn't add up. For a smart, knowledgeable policeman he seemed pretty naive when it came to his family.

I liked the writing style of the book, and it was a great suspense style read - you won't know whether Jacob is guilty or innocent right until the end. But it is a sombre read, with a dry humour and I just felt it was too long at 400+ pages to stay on the one topic and family.
 
I would recommend this book to readers who like court room dramas with a bit of suspense thrown in.
 
I give this book 2 stars out of 5

Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch re-runs of Neighbours than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd pass up a pack of tim tams for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read


 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook and Instagram


[Image via Dymocks]

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Awww just 2 stars. I love court room dramas but not if they're long and drawn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a good thriller but this was too much drama and not enough thrill!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!