Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Recipe: Slow Cooker Sausage Stroganoff

It's that time of the year when the cooler Autumn weather sets in, it's wet and cold outside, and the slow cooker has emerged from the cupboard to make some warm and comforting dinners.

Last weekend I made Sausage Stroganoff which I've made a few times now and each time I'm surprised at how easy to make and delicious it is and it takes the humble sausage and turns it into the hero of the dish!


Slow Cooker: Sausage Stroganoff
Serves 4 

Ingredients

2 tbs olive oil
1 large brown onion, chopped
2 garlic gloves, crushed
500g cup mushrooms, sliced
3 bacon rashers, chopped
6-8 thick sausages (beef or pork)
1 tbs sweet paprika
1 tbs worchestershire sauce
1 cup beef stock
1/4 cup tomato paste (or 1 cup of tomato passatta if you like it more saucy)
1/2 cup sour cream
Fresh parsley, chopped

Method

1. Heat oil in slow cooker or large pan. Cook sausages until brown. Transfer to a plate.


2. Add bacon, onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes until bacon is golden. Add mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes until softened.


3. Stir in paprika, tomato paste (or tomato passatta), stock and worcestershire sauce. Bring to simmer. Cut each sausage diagonally into thick slices and add to pan.


4. Season with salt and pepper. Put lid on and cook on low for 4 hours. Stir in sour cream and fresh parsley in last 10-20 minutes and leave lid off so sauce thickens.


5. Serve the Sausage Stroganoff on top of steamed rice and garnish with extra fresh parsley. Enjoy!


I've made this dish both on the stove top as well as in my slow cooker and it works in both - I have a sear and slow cooker which has the sear option, so if you are using a standard slow cooker you'll need to brown the ingredients first.

Have you made any tasty meals in the slow cooker lately?

Sharing with link parties:
Savvy Southern Style - Wow Us Wednesdays
This Silly Girls Life - Lovely Ladies Linky
Jam Hands - Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop


 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter


[All images my own]

Pin It Now!

8 comments:

  1. This looks so good! Beef and mushrooms go together, I think :) I usually make a beef stroganoff, but a sausage one sounds tasty, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beef and mushrooms are a match made in heavan. I love my beef strog too but it is really tasty with sausages and probably a bit cheaper to make as well :)

      Delete
  2. I would never think to make this with sausage! I'm totally going to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, but its really yum. I hope you try it :)

      Delete
  3. This looks really good. It may be good for your cooler weather but for us in the 100's anything I can cook in the crock pot instead of the oven is a go! ;) YUM!
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are right the crock pot doesnt heat the house up like the oven does. I havent thought of that before maybe I should be using my slow cooker more in Summer, I just always think of it as a comforting warming winter cooker!

      Delete
  4. This is perfect timing...I've been looking for more slow cooker meals as here it is almost summer (our seasons are a little switched around I guess!) and I don't want to make our AC work more from the heat of the oven. My hubby loves sausage, so this will be great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about using mine in Summer instead of using the oven which heats up the house! Will have to get it out more often I think. Good idea!
      I hope you and hubby like this one :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!