Chicken soup is such a classic I think just about everyone has their own version ..... this is my chicken soup with an Asian inspired twist.
This soup is so flavoursome thanks to the Chinese rice wine and soy sauce and can be made with just a few cupboard ingredients which makes it quick and easy to get on the table in less than an hour.
Chicken and Corn Vermicelli Soup
2 tbs vegetable oil
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 gloves garlic, crushed
2 chicken breasts
1 can sweet corn kernels
1 can creamed corn
6 cups chicken stock
1 cup water
2 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs Chinese rice wine
White pepper and salt
4 spring onions, sliced
Rice vermicelli noodles
1. Heat oil in a large pot and fry celery, onion and garlic until soft.
2. Add chicken stock and water and bring to the boil.
3. Add chicken breasts (whole) and poach for 10 minutes. Remove and shred chicken with a fork. Set aside.
4. Add cans of corn, creamed corn, soy and Chinese rice wine and return shredded chicken to pot.
5. Reduce heat to low and let simmer gently for approximately 30 minutes.
6. Season generously with white pepper and salt.
7. Meanwhile cook rice vermicelli noodles and set aside.
8. Place noodles into bowls, ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle spring onions over to garnish.
Serve this soup as a meal in itself with lots of noodles or as a starter to a stir fry or Chinese inspired dinner at home.
It's best to put the noodles into the bowls rather than add them to the soup, that way you don't have to worry about the noodles expanding and soaking up all the liquid.
What's in your version of chicken soup?
Linking up with: Savvy Southern Style
For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook and Instagram
[Image my own]
Pin It Now!