Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, May 2, 2014

Recipe: Chicken and Corn Vermicelli Soup

Chicken soup is such a classic I think just about everyone has their own version ..... this is my chicken soup with an Asian inspired twist.
 
This soup is so flavoursome thanks to the Chinese rice wine and soy sauce and can be made with just a few cupboard ingredients which makes it quick and easy to get on the table in less than an hour.
 
 
Chicken and Corn Vermicelli Soup
 
Ingredients
 
2 tbs vegetable oil
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 gloves garlic, crushed
2 chicken breasts
1 can sweet corn kernels
1 can creamed corn
6 cups chicken stock
1 cup water
2 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs Chinese rice wine
White pepper and salt
4 spring onions, sliced
Rice vermicelli noodles
 
Method
 
1. Heat oil in a large pot and fry celery, onion and garlic until soft.
 
2. Add chicken stock and water and bring to the boil.
 
3. Add chicken breasts (whole) and poach for 10 minutes. Remove and shred chicken with a fork. Set aside.
 
4. Add cans of corn, creamed corn, soy and Chinese rice wine and return shredded chicken to pot.
 
5. Reduce heat to low and let simmer gently for approximately 30 minutes.
 
6. Season generously with white pepper and salt.
 
7. Meanwhile cook rice vermicelli noodles and set aside.
 
8. Place noodles into bowls, ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle spring onions over to garnish.
 
Serve this soup as a meal in itself with lots of noodles or as a starter to a stir fry or Chinese inspired dinner at home.
 
It's best to put the noodles into the bowls rather than add them to the soup, that way you don't have to worry about the noodles expanding and soaking up all the liquid.
 
What's in your version of chicken soup?
 
Linking up with: Savvy Southern Style


 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook and Instagram


[Image my own]

Pin It Now!

10 comments:

  1. Thanks Michelle I'm going to try this one over the weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I hope you like it! Its been perfect soup weather lately :)

      Delete
  2. This looks so, so good and I love your soup bowls and the ladle spoon! I need some of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love the bowls too I use them for everything from icecream to cereal! They are from House, not sure if you have that store over your side of the world?

      Delete
  3. Definitely can't go wrong with chicken and corn soups. I have three favourite recipes that somehow during the cooking process become one! I like adding sesame oil and ginger (fresh or ginger powder). I haven't added vermicelli to mine, so I'll have to give it a try next time I make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha sounds about right! I will have to add seasame oil next time, I love using that in Chinese cooking.

      Delete
  4. Looks good! I make all sorts of chicken soups, favourite ingredients include a touch of ginger and spring onion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would add a really nice flavour, I'll have to add ginger next time :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!