Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Tough Love Succulents

I thought it was time to get outside and show you my favourite pots and plants .... well the only one I've managed to keep alive thus far!

I bought this big wide pot and some feature pebbles and potted up a few different types of succulents. The pot looked great under the patio on a low lying table which is a bit exposed so gets the morning sun and  also any rain that falls. But the plants only lasted a few months before the leaves went all soggy and fell off. I think it was getting too much water which succulents don't like.



Not to be deterred I bought some more succulents and tried again. I couldn't resist these ones with the cool flower stems. I potted them up and moved the pot under the patio so it didn't get too wet when it rained and I only remember to water them every few weeks which they seem to like a bit of tough love so they're growing pretty well.



How cool are those stems! Sadly the flowers did dry up after about a month so I had to cut the stems off but I'm hoping they'll grow back. If they don't it's ok the plants still look really nice as they are. Who would've thought a bit of tough love with little watering was all that they needed.


I'll be posting a bit more about the outside of the house in the coming months ... we've barely touched the backyard or front garden since we've moved in and I'm so keen to get a herb and veggie garden growing and to start planning the front garden design.

It's time to get outside and get those dainty nails dirty!
Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 28, 2011

    the stems are so pretty. very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love succulents! Such cool little plants :)

    Thank you for your comment on my ikea desk makeover. I am your newest follower :)

    Take Care,
    Mandy
    http://a37s42.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!